I found a great cookie recipe with Quinoa as the main ingredient (from pinterest). I was a little surprised at first, but so excited to try. These cookies turned out great. These cookies are not too sweet, but have more of a granola bar type flavor. I still really enjoyed them and my boys liked them too. Just the perfect amount of sweetness and good nutrition.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup peanut butter~ any kind
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (I left these out)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine quinoa, peanut butter, maple syrup, salt, and oats in a large mixing bowl. Use a mixer on low/medium speed and combine the ingredients. (Tip: Allow the quinoa to cool before mixing it in. I did not do this and that is why mine are very chocolate looking!) Your preference either way.
3. Stir in coconut and chocolate chips.
4. Scoop and mold dough into round, tablespoon-sized cookies.
5. Place cookies on parchment-paper-lined baking sheets and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, until bottoms are nicely browned.
6. Allow to cool completely before storing.
Since I did not allow the quinoa to cool the chocolate chips and peanut butter melted nicely. I think I prefer it to be melted. Make sure your store the cookies in an airtight bag or bin. I keep mine in the fridge~