I love using essential oils for my homemade anti-aging creams and serums. I have noticed a reduction in age spots, freckles (I have them from overexposure to the sun), scars (a few chicken pox scars), fine lines, and wrinkles. My skin looks healthier than ever. My skin tone has evened out and my skin has a youthful “glow”. I am very happy with the results and I want to share it with my friends and family. Here is a list of some of the most popular essential oils used for anti-aging and wrinkle prevention.
Use caution when using essential oils for the first time. Some people are more sensitive than others.
1. Rose Hip Seed Oil
My favorite essential oil for wrinkle prevention. I use this oil 3-4 nights a week before I go to bed. I add it to my organic night cream and rub it right in. No oily residue.
“The benefits of rosehip oil are due to its amazing collection of ingredients, all of which have powerful properties to help regenerate and brighten skin. In fact, it is one of the most multifaceted natural oils as it contains over 500 natural ingredients. Some of the most well known ingredients are natural vitamin A (also known as Retinol or Transretinoic acid). This is very effective to help avoid premature ageing as a result of excessive sun exposure.
It also contains lycopene and beta-carotene, both of which are potent antioxidants and protect against damage from free radicals and skin ageing. One of the reasons that rosehip oil is so beneficial to skin is that it is rich in fatty acids including omega 3, 6 and 9. These are fundamental to ensure healthy skin but the body is unable to produce them.” Source
Benefits of Rose Hip Seed Oil:
- Helps to prevent or improve fine lines & wrinkles: due to its high fatty acid and antioxidant content, rosehip oil works wonders in improving the condition of the skin, especially skin that has been exposed to excessive sunlight.
- Effective moisturiser for dry skin: it is very helpful when used on any dry skin condition such as eczema, dermatitis or psoriasis. The oil penetrates into the deepest layers of the skin to lock in moisture.
- Proven to reduce & improve scars: due to the complex mixture of ingredients and its ability to regenerate skin cells producing more collagen, rosehip oil can make a dramatic improvement to scar tissue, after just a few weeks of use.
- Can also help burns: a scientific study found that rosehip oil was extremely effective in reducing redness and helped to improve colour and tone.
- Can reverse effects of photo ageing: a study of the benefits of rosehip oil was conducted on women who had spent considerable time in the sun and had various signs of photo ageing such as hyper-pigmentation and sun spots. They applied rosehip oil daily for four months and improvements were noted as early as week 3. By the end of the study, most of the sun spots had vanished, their wrinkles were smoothed out and their skin was glowing.
- Helps to prevent/reduce stretch marks: rosehip oil is safe to be used during pregnancy and after birth. It has the ability to firm the skin and help it to regain its elasticity, as well as fading external scarring.
- Safe to be used on babies & children: another great benefit of rosehip oil is that it can be used on all the family. It is safe to be used on the sensitive skin of babies to help with cradle cap and eczema. It is also excellent to help children’s chickenpox scars fade quickly.
- Gives skin a natural glow: it helps to restore even skin tone, smoothes out wrinkles and fine lines, diminishes scars and gives skin a healthy glow!
- Balances out oily/combination skin: rosehip oil is a dry oil, which means that it is quickly and easily absorbed into the skin and can help to prevent breakouts.
- Evens out skin tone, minimises pores and blemishes: another wonderful benefits of rosehip oil is that it delivers a better, more even complexion. It minimises the size of pores and helps blemishes to fade and disappear quickly. Source
You can find it HERE.
Another great Organic Rose Hip Serum can be found Here. Love this one!
2. Carrot Seed Oil
Another great anti-aging essential oil. This oil is a great to use in conjunction with Rose Hip Seed Oil. I also add this oil to my evening facial cream. It is my second favorite essential oil for anti-aging.
“Respected aromatherapy references suggest that it is useful for the treatment of dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, wrinkles, and that it aids dry skin and revitalises the basal layer. There is also evidence that it assists circulation and aids muscular tension. It has been suggested that it might be useful for the treatment of hypertension and neurasthenia.” Source
“Carrot Seed Oil may be the most underrated essential oil in aromatherapy, but there’s nothing but wellness surrounding this powerful detoxifier and skin rejuvenator. Its soft earthy smell initiates the stress-relieving characteristics in the oil, and when the oil is applied to the skin epidermal cells are stimulated, which keeps wrinkles in check. Carrot seed oil is known for its ability to alleviate skin problems like acne, eczema, psoriasis, ulcers, weeping sores, and boils.” Source
“Because carrot seed oil is high in antioxidants, it’s a natural for any anti-aging skin formula. These components can help protect your skin from environmental assaults like UV rays, pollution, and stress. In fact, carrot seed oil may be added to your sunscreen formula because it is reputed to protect from free radicals produced by UV radiation. Carotenoids, in particular, have been found to enhance the body’s immune response to UV rays, which can decrease skin damage from UV exposure.
What’s magical about carrot seed oil, however, is its ability to rejuvenate skin. Scientists think this has something to do with the “carotol,” a primary component found in carrot seed oil. The oil also has moisturizing vitamin E and protective vitamin C, which work together to help encourage healing and to rejuvenate skin cells and bring new life to skin. In fact, carrot seed oil has a reputation for helping to heal eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis because of its ability to stimulate cell growth and repair damaged skin.
It is also this ability that makes carrot seed oil a great anti-aging ingredient, as well. Rejuvenating skin cells and encouraging new growth is at the center of combating the appearance of aging. The high carotol content has also made the oil a good option for treating wounds and skin infections.” Source
You can find it HERE.
3. Apricot Kernel Oil
Apricot Kernel Oil is a great carrier oil for anti-aging and wrinkle prevention skincare products. It is a must have. Add in your rose hip and carrot seed oils to this carrier oil.
“Apricot Kernel Oil is rich in gamma linoleic acid, or GLA, which comes from the essential fatty acid omega-6. The GLA content in Apricot Kernel Oil helps skin to maintain moisture balance. In addition, Apricot Kernel Oil contains vitamins A and E, making it an ideal skin care product. These vitamins help to soothe the skin, making it soft and allowing product to penetrate without leaving the skin with an oily feel. They are also a rich source of antioxidants. As you continue to read, antioxidants target and inhibit the cell damage of free radials in the body caused by environmental effects such as ultra violet rays, smoke and other chemicals.
The oil absorbs easily and its emollient properties work to soften, soothe and relieve dryness and scales from the skin. Apricot Kernel Oil is light and non-greasy. It moisturizes, and protects mature and/or sensitive skin.” Source
Benefits of Apricot Kernel Oil:
Creates smooth and supple skin
Slows the signs of aging
Apricot Kernel Oil is a great carrier oil for Rose Hip and Carrot Seed Oils. The combination is outstanding.
You can find it Here.
4. Geranium Oil
“Geranium is composed of several potent constituents offering outstanding benefits and a history of traditional uses. It has been used to soothe inflammation and irritated skin. It is a common ingredient in many skin care products due to its healing nature. ” Source
“Everybody wants that his or her skin to be free from scars and after marks of fat-cracks, surgeries, boils and acne or pox. But after spending a fortune and trying nearly all the cosmetics available in the market when you end up with nothing, you really feel bad. You could have checked this had you tried Geranium Oil first. It is a Cicatrisant, that is, it helps the scars and other spots on skin to fade and vanish. It facilitates blood circulation just below the surface of skin and also helps make distribution of melanin uniform.
Geranium Oil promotes cell health and also encourages recycling of dead cell and regeneration of new cells. This helps in the growth of the body cells as well as gametes.” Source
You can find it Here.
5. Coconut Oil
“Coconut Oil is a natural moisturizer. Besides having loads of health benefits when consumed, coconut oil has also benefits when applied to the skin. It’s often used for massage, to knead away tired muscles. It also has great moisturizing benefits, and can be used in the place of any body lotion. Coconut oil also has plenty of anti-aging benefits, and can help protect the skin from free radicals, which can cause the skin to look older and more tired. Also, when you apply coconut oil to your skin, it can reduce your need to use Vitamin E as another form of skin protection.” Source
“It acts as an effective moisturizer on all skin types as well as effective massage oil. Unlike mineral oil, there is no chance of having any adverse side effects on the skin with the application of coconut oil. It is a safe solution for preventing dryness and flaking of skin. It also delays wrinkles and sagging of skin which become prominent with age. The use of coconut oil helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to antioxidant properties.” Source
Try adding these anti-aging oils into your skincare routine to see less fine lines and wrinkles!